The event is described as hand-to-hand combat, grappling is a close fighting technique used to gain a physical advantage such as improving relative position, or causing injury to the opponent. Grappling covers techniques used in many disciplines, styles and martial arts that are practiced both as combat sports and for self-defense.
We’koqma’q Mi’kmaw School Gym
80 Reservation Road, We'koqma'q, NS
Age Categories for both Men & Women:
Ages 16 and over. Participants’ weight may impact division. Therefore, all athletes must submit their weight, height and experience level on application forms. Please indicate your experience level in years. There will not be a child’s division.
Weight classes will be as follows: (Midget age categories and older)
- Lightweight: 160lbs and under
- Middleweight: 160lbs-185lbs
- Heavyweight: 185lbs-225lbs
- Super heavyweight: 225lbs and over
Weigh-ins will be held at the same time as registration. If your weight, at the time of weigh-ins, does not match the weight on your registration form you will be put into your respective category.
Number of Athletes
Each Community may enter a maximum of ten (10) athletes per community.
Scoring & Rule System:
- Please refer to the North American Grappling Association (NAGA) website for “No Gi Rules” (http://www.nagafighter.com/pdf/2018_naga_rules.pdf).
- Referees will determine the winner of a tied match based on who skillfully controlled the match. If there is no clear winner there will be a 2 minute overtime. There will be no rest period for overtime.
- Each competitor is allowed to have one corner person present. They will be required to stay off of the wrestling mats and stay one side of the mat.
- There will be ZERO tolerance for striking and disrespect.
Matches will be conducted in a double elimination tournament format. Each competitor will be guaranteed at least 2 chances to compete. The event will start with the Lightweight tournament, Middleweight, Heavyweight and Super heavyweight will be last.
Officials will be provided by the host community.
Field of Play/Equipment Requirements
The event will be held at the We’koqma’q Mi’kmaw School Gym where there will be a matted area for competition, designated warm up area and change area.
Competition Attire & Gear:
We recommend that participants wear a long-sleeved rash guard and board shorts, or competitive MMA/BJJ shorts. Stretchy materials can be a hazard and inconvenience for competitors. Gi pants are permitted.
All Participants will be required to wear a mouth guard. If a participant does not show up with a mouth guard they will not be permitted to compete. Please make sure to purchase and fit your mouth guard in advance.
Competition rash guards are mandatory for this competition.